Swimming Lessons Frequently Asked Questions
Which Level is the correct placement for myself or my child?
A detailed description under each program heading can be found here. Ensuring correct swim level placement avoids any uncertainty or headaches.
How do I register for Swim Lessons?
You can register 3 Ways...
- Online any hour, day or night: CLICK HERE!
- At the District Office, 7801 Auburn Blvd, Citrus Heights, CA 95610., during normal business hours. Click here to view office hours
If I have to miss a lesson, are there make-up lessons?
Lessons are non-transferable. Due to scheduling at the pools, we are unable to accommodate individual swim lesson students that miss a day of class, regardless of the reason. We limit the instructor to participant ratio based on the level to promote learning. Lessons typically fill, so we don't have extra spaces to allow students to jump around. Each class establishes a rhythm between the instructor and swimmers. Jumping to the middle of a class doesn't benefit the swimmers in the lessons and the instructor will need to spend extra time catching up with swimmers as opposed to moving forward with each lesson.
Refunds, Credits, or Transfers?
Due to the limited space in Swim Lessons, all credit requests are due 72 hours prior to the first day of the program, by waiting to transfer out of a class you are taking up a position that may have been filled by another student. All customer-initiated refund requests that are approved will be granted SRPD Credit. Click here to view our Credit Request Policy.
What temperature is the Pool?
All pools are heated and are generally kept at approximately 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This temperature does vary slightly due to changes in the air temperature.
Where do I meet on the 1st day of Lessons?
Please enter the facility through the main entrance and wait in the bleachers. At Rusch Park Pool please sit in the bleachers nearest to the entrance, at Antelope the following classes will meet in the bleachers by the Activity Pool, Starfish, Pollywog, Frog, and Turtle, all other classes will meet in the bleachers by the Competition Pool. The instructor will call your swimmer's name at the appointed time for your lesson.
What to Bring:
- Yourself or Your Swimmer
- Swimsuit (& Swim Diaper, if not potty-trained)
Helpful Hints for Swim Lessons:
- It is recommended that children repeat the last level they completed the previous summer.
- Most children remain at the same level for two or more sessions.
- If unsure of which level your child is in, choose the level you know they can do the skills in (refer to the class descriptions here).
- Your child will not be moved to a different level or class if registered incorrectly.
- Please ensure the swimmer is in their swimsuit prior to the lesson's start time. If possible please make sure sunscreen is applied 15 minutes before entering the water. For children in diapers, swim diapers must be worn in the pool to help protect against waterborne illnesses. Goggles and swim caps can be worn during classes (no nose plugs or full face masks). If the swimmer wishes to wear goggles they must be properly fitted and not cause a distraction to the class.
- Be on time or early to class.
- Classes will be canceled when severe weather conditions (lightning, hail, etc) are in the area. Staff will follow local weather reports for the latest conditions. Classes will be conducted rain or shine. In the event of severe weather and classes are canceled you will be given a credit for the missed class unless the Aquatics Staff can provide a make-up date.
- If you miss the last day of lessons, any unclaimed report cards can be picked up on-site at the pool’s lifeguard office.
Accessible Lift Available
Accessible lifts are available at both facilities for those who have difficulty entering a pool. Rusch Park's Competition pool and Antelope's Activity Pool each feature a "zero-entry" pool that gently slopes from ground level into the water.