Your response matters.
Health clinics. Fire departments. Schools. Even roads and highways. The census can shape many different aspects of your community.
- Census results help determine how billions of dollars in federal funding flow into states and communities each year.
- The results determine how many seats in Congress each state gets.
- It's mandated by the U.S. Constitution in Article 1, Section 2: The U.S. has counted its population every 10 years since 1790.
2020 Census: What is the Census?
The Census has been a cornerstone of our democracy since the first national count in 1790.
Impact in Your Community
A new school to ease overcrowded classrooms. A new road to ease overcrowded commutes. There are many ways the 2020 Census can shape your community. The results, collected once a decade, help determine how billions of dollars in federal funding flow into states and communities each year.
You may begin to notice census workers in your neighborhood. This is a normal part of preparations for the 2020 Census. Census Bureau employees are also in the community to continue collecting information for the American Community Survey and other ongoing surveys.
Census Workers in Your Neighborhood
Visit the new 2020 Census website for more information on census workers, including:
- How you can verify someone is a census worker.
- Why census workers are out in communities.
- How you can avoid repeat visits from census takers.